Saturday, June 14, 2008

A Magical Night with Gypsy, Flowerchild and Fairy














It was a hot, Friday afternoon when I decided to do some painting. I was about to have it out with a naked canvas that had been taunting me for a while. Wearing nothing but the sweet stench of 7&7 and my beloved painting jeans, listening to Janis, Ella, and Chet Baker, I was ready.

Earlier that morning, I went for a run, making my total for the last two days a little over 18 miles. Afterwards, I worked through lunch at my Starbux. It's been like that for a while. I hadn't done anything creative beyond mixing drinks. Just running and working, working and running, and then pickling my liver every night. So, Friday was going to be my night to just paint and write and allow myself to release. But just as the 7&7 was kicking in, my sistah from anutha mutha called.

"Are you decent?" she asked.
"Am I ever?" I replied.
"Better get clothes on because Fairy is coming." She warned. Fairy is our "fabulous" friend.
I put on a shirt. And they walked in the door just a few minutes later.
"Let's go!" Fairy commanded. Apparently, the plan was to go to Ye Olde Ship. I debated whether or not to go. I had my night planned. But who can say "No" to Fairy?

So, I put some gel on and headed out the door. Mistake number 1.

And that's the clearest memory I have of that Friday. Everything else comes in snippets. I do remember meeting Gypsy. Curly haired, dirty-blond, wearing a bohemian frock reminiscent of a Kerouac character. We talked about finding our Bodhisattva. She wanted to introduce me to hers.

She had magic in her purse which we enjoyed in the parking lot. Mistake number 2.

Flowerchild came to hang at my request. It's been a while since I've dipped down to her realm. She's legendary. And it was great to see her after all that time. The Ship was sinking, so we decided to move on. Fairy, Flowerchild and I walked merrily down the alley ways to Fowerchild's carriage where she had a surprise. With a siren smile, she pulled out her magic.

We enjoyed it and cast spells at Fairy who doesn't like magic. Mistake number 3.

The night should have ended there. For what must have been a half hour, we found ourselves wandering through more alley ways and then gardens in downtown. Old friends sprouted from the darkness in our magic-soaked journey. Some faces looked familiar, still others swear we've met before. Hugs and kisses and faded promises to keep in touch... we needed a drink!

When we got to the bar, Gypsy was there. It was a pleasant surprise. And another person was there, she was a twin, a Gemini... and we had much in common.

Gypsy lured me away from Gemini to blow magic into the night air. Mistake number 4.

I've already had way too much by that point. We sat in the veranda and engaged our psychic powers. I told her about my quest to find my soulmate but that all I knew was that somehow blue shoes and San Francisco are the keys. It freaked her out that I mentioned those words. She became silent. It turned out that her close friend, from San Francisco, has an email account under the name blueshoes. I was freaked.

From there, I remember going to another watering hole. By this time it was just Fairy and me. Mistake number 5.

Fairy threatened to touch me inappropriately. But he is my friend, and I knew he was joking. He gets drunk and plays around. As I leaned against a fence, waiting for a cab, he put an arm on my shoulder. I, of course, flinched, laughing. He accused me of being a homophobe. And for a minute, I actually wanted to prove that I wasn't by letting him. That thought lasted all but 1 second. I was gone but not that gone. And I knew he was just kidding. kinda.

So, there is my crazy Friday night with Gypsy, Flowerchild, and Fairy. That canvas still taunts!

No comments: